Friday, September 11, 2009

Look Who Ran Her First 5K, and, oh yeah, Won!!

I haven't blogged in so long, I'm actually nervous to begin this post. I feel like I may fail, somehow. I have no idea what that means, but the feeling is there, nonetheless. But I digress.

I just have to have a bragging moment here. My little Devin ran her first 5k this summer. And won!! Well, in her category, anyway. She got up at 7 every morning this summer to run Cross Country. I think she only missed twice and really increased her stamina. It was awesome to watch her run her first 5k. Her ability to just keep going fascinates me. I've never been a runner. I get winded just watching her. I don't believe I've ever run more than a mile, and that was just because I didn't want to look like a complete wimp next to my sister, who was on the next treadmill over. That same sister ran the 5k with Devin this summer. She was here visiting from Oregon and when she found out that Devin was thinking about doing it, she told her she would run with her. Devin smoked her, but I was so proud of both of them. My sister has run for years off and on, but hadn't been running consistently for awhile. But she decided to just do it. Cool.

I've had dreams for years of being a runner. I don't mean fantasies. I mean real dreams. Like in my sleep. I have these dreams of running through my neighborhood with these really long strides that feel awesome, I'm not winded at all and I just feel euphoric. But whenever I've tried this out in real life, my lungs are burning within seconds, my legs are quivering, and trust me, euphoria is nowhere on the horizon. I think it's very rude of my psyche to tease me like this. I think dreams should come true. And I think they should come true with no training or work involved, whatsoever. Is that so wrong?

Our family got memberships to the rec center last month. Actually, two months ago. I've been once. And I didn't run. I watched my kids run. And you know what I realized as I watched them? My lungs weren't burning, my legs weren't quivering and I actually felt quite euphoric watching the little angels run.

My dreams are whacked.

7 comments:

Prestwich Family said...

Oh, come on! Anyone can be a runner if they just start out slow enough!! You can't just go run a mile if you have never really done it before. Except Devin maybe! Great post and I was honored that I could do it with her!

Unknown said...

Welcome back to the blogging world! I'm so proud of Devin. What a champ!! That is totally impressive. I used to be a runner too, but now my butt just weighs me down. Tell Devin to never give it up. That is AWESOME!!

gillman said...

hey your back!! we have missed you!! hope life and working are going great for you! your daughter is an inspriation!!!
Meg :0)

e. said...

I love that she won. I only run races that give out medals to everyone so that I can lie to my kids and tell them that I won. They don't argue with the hardware.

heidi said...

Woo Hoo!! Yea Devin!! Someday maybe I'll be able to run a 5K. :)

Daisha said...

I am so impressed by Devin. That's so awesome!

shannon p. said...

Way to go Devin! So glad you are back to blogging - not a failure in any sense, you are as fun to read and as funny as ever! (Now just don't disappoint us all by not posting for several months again!)